4. The report didn't comment on potential factors influencing the numbers, but many – including members of the opposing political party – are laying the blame squarely at the feet of government cost-cutting.
5. Li Jianmin, from the local Public Security Bureau, told Xinhua news agency, quoted by the South China Morning Post: 'The entire processing facility had a fishy and foul smell. You just couldn't stand it after one or two minutes.'
6. Interestingly, a survey found Beijing was thought to be the most congested city in China, among 31.8 percent of respondents, followed by Zhengzhou at 8.8 percent.
3. There are no such circuit breakers in Hong Kong where the H-share index of mainland equities fell less than 4 per cent on unremarkable volumes. One might have expected more of a bloodletting. Mainland retail investors participate in both markets — a function both of Stock Connect and a leaky system — and if you can’t sell what you would like, you sell what you can. Foreign H-share investors too might be presumed sellers, having been the most bearish on China’s economy. Yet yesterday, even as Shanghai opened down a further 3 per cent (before rebounding), Hong Kong’s H shares remained resilient.
4. China's mass entrepreneurship and innovation initiative has a strong vitality.
6. Its brand value has increased by 22 per cent to $19bn and it has climbed 20 places up the ranking to number 50.
1. 7. An unexpected new lung function has been found. Researchers have found that lungs don't just facilitate respiration - they also play a key role in blood production, with the ability to produce more than 10 million platelets (tiny blood cells) per hour. That equates to the majority of platelets in circulation at any given moment.
2. Total growth in new orders softened as new export orders rose at about the same pace as a month prior. But job shedding quickened, while input price growth edged lower and prices charged to clients picked up slightly.
5. The highest average monthly salary for 2016 graduates is 5693 Yuan in IT/Internet/telecommunications/electronics industries; second is financial industry and culture/sports/entertainment/media industries with average salaries level of 4685 Yuan and 4552 Yuan respectively; monthly salaries in agricultural/forest/grassland farming/fishing, and services/ educational sports/industrial arts are relatively low among signed graduates, respectively are 3500 Yuan, 3873 Yuan and 3900 Yuan.
2. With executive compensation in the U.S. rising and the income gap only getting bigger, it's refreshing to see a CEO who cares about more than his own paycheck. Lenovo(LNVGF) Chief Executive Yang Yuanqing announced in September for the second year in a row that he would share at least $3 million of his bonus with roughly 10,000 of his workers. The generous decision was a product of the personal computer maker's record sales that year. The average worker payout is equal to roughly a month's pay for the typical city worker in China, according to Bloomberg News.
5. But John Davies, head of institutional investment in the Hong Kong team at CBRE, the property services business, says that lower prices should make the market more reliable. “The market is showing characteristics of a mature market, which institutional investors understand better,” he says.
8. Sturgill Simpson “Metamodern Sounds in Country Music” (High Top Mountain) A throwback progressive hunkered down with a whip-smart band: country music has seen this before. But on his breakthrough second album, Sturgill Simpson made it a pliable trademark, grounded at every turn by his winning, seen-it-all baritone.
Among dozens of small, technology-focused acquisitions, the $3bn purchase of Beats Electronics, the celebrity-endorsed headphones and music streaming service, stands out as Apple’s largest ever deal. The acquisition still bemuses many Apple analysts, but in Jimmy Iovine and Dr Dre, Beats’ founders, Mr Cook has instantly regained credibility with the music industry after years of neglecting the iTunes download store. If Mr Cook is guilty of missing the rapid growth of subscription services such as Spotify, he has moved swiftly to compensate for it — though for a high price.